Lesson of the week.I admit that this thought came to me partly because i just completed Tuesdays With Morrie, but in truth someone really did strike me enough to inspire such a thought.
Yes so the lesson of the week is: Letting Go.
Something happened between me and this friend. I was crushed, I must admit, and I most certainly didn't feel like talking to this friend for quite some time. I felt kind of rejected - not in the BGR sense, but the rejection-of-friendship sense.
That was like four months ago? Now we're both quite good friends. He's still the same person, and so am I. The difference is in the fact that I let go of the anger that I held against this friend. I let go of past memories. I let go of my expectations. I let go of my willingness to make everything work my way. Basically - if you haven't already gotten it - I let go.
Letting go won't only help you in this sense, but it also helps you drift out of painful times and save your sanity. Letting go to my own understanding is just basically a person's self-defense mechanism; your body is basically telling you to 'stay at home, because it's too dangerous outside'.
In relationships, letting go means being the matured one. The one with superior intelligence to let insignificant things pass over you so that you can retain the energy to deal with things which actually deserve more attention.
In crises, letting go just means taking yourself out of the self-pity and putting your energies into a) solving the crises, or b) just moving on. Remember that letting go is harder for some people. It can't be easy because if it were, then you're just sensationalising the situation (someone find me a synonym for situation).
And quite obviously, letting go will make you a better person. Yes the chances of you becoming a Cynic or a Stoic will be greatly increased, but at least you don't hold on to pain that can't be resolved. Not for long, anyway.