I'll get flamed for this, I swear.

In many senses, the kind of environment we grow up in; the kind of people we mingle with, the way they approach- or alienate other people and such, make up who we are today.
The schools we go to, the friends we make, the CCAs we join - all have an undeniable effect on us, be it good or bad. They influence the bad english - or in my case, the bad chinese - we speak, the acceptance of passivity and mediocrity, such that we all learn that it is fine to be nonentities. Our friends - as Amisha so brilliantly put it - teach us hedonism, and while some of us hold each other's hands to pull the other up, other's hold hands and sink further down into the depths of incompetence.
Sure, rattle on about how we should all learn to "rise above our circumstances" and be the best that we can be, but how do you actually know what is your best? Your best is defined by what other's say is your best, not by your own capabilities. We all don't know how good we are, and so we look to others to pin our best on. Just so happens that other's have ravishing and over-achieving idols, while we worship nothing more than Singapore Idols, and the folks who score better than us.
Can we at least think before we start calling Hady Mirza and Jonathan Leong an Idol?
You want an idol? Think a president, a martyr, a unionist, an activist, a rebel, a revolutionist, a TEACHER for goodness sakes, but a singer? (shrugs)
I don't know how i drifted into Singapore Idol - or Idol Fever as they call it. I only intended to blog after looking at one of my MSN contacts and wondering that she kind of fell short of what she could have become. She could have risen so much higher but now she's become so maladroit, that she can't speak proper english anymore, and she accepts mediocrity. Worst of all, she thinks she's at her best.
So I blogged, because I just couldn't help but feel dreadfully despondent - for her, anyway.