Perhaps this entry is long overdue, but it's still relevant, nevertheless.
Someone used the Big Fish in Small Pond idea to try to justify his choice to stay in a new school, instead of trying for an elite school. He said that he'd rather be prominent in a small school, than be small in a prominent school.
I snorted at the MSN convo.
Couple of things went through my mind:
numberONE:
How big of a fish can you grow into if your pond is bloody small? When you finally leave your pond to join the ocean out there, how prepared would you be, if all your life you've been facing guppies? It doesn't seem wise to me, to grow up with a such a skewed view of the world around you, and the competitors you would potentially face.
numberTWO:
Oh my goodness that's such a defeatist attitude you have, already assuming that you'd be unable to face the competition in an elite school, when you haven't even seen anything that goes on in it. Someone very wise once said that we should never 'edit ourselves out even before we start' our journey. I'm just hoping you're one of the exceptions who'll prove me wrong, when I say that such an attitude - to not dare to challenge your limits - won't get you far.
So yes, I feel sorry for you. I'm not sorry that you went to that school. I'm sorry that you
chose to go to that school, despite the fact that you would have gotten into said elite school if only you hade more faith in yourself. There's a difference in falling short of your best due to your circumstances, and falling short of your best due to your choices.
I just wished I had said this earlier to you. Perhaps you'd have thought twice.
--
I decided to make you guys laugh (or at least attempt to), to make up for the fact that I've been too tired to blog these past twelve days (I can't believe I counted!). Saw this on the MRT today.

Remind you of something?

Gosh, now who copied who?

Doesn't matter. It's just so.. xD