
There was once a time when I sang so freely. Sure I may not have had the best voice around, but I certainly sang like I did, and you can bet that I sang like was I the best. I sang everywhere, for parents, for friends, for myself, and I sang so loudly with no inhibitions whatsoever. I sang not out of any ego whatsoever, because trust me, as a young child, you'd sing because it made people happy, and it felt good to see people smile. Damn it, I just loved to sing. It didn't matter what I sang, or how I sang it, or who sang along with me. I just loved it, and that's why I did it.
Then as I grew up, my voice grew with me, and slowly, it dawned on me that people were starting to judge me, and I realised how naive I was. All these comments about how I didn't sound like I used to, how I wasn't supposed to sing certain songs or how I should sing certain songs in particular, and about how I was better before. All those happy, elated smiles faded into those of obligation and patronism.
And I stopped singing altogether.
Until I rediscovered God, and the voice that He gave to me. I sing for no one, but Him, and I sing for no other reason than the fact that I love to, and I'll do nothing in this world without His acknowledgment, and His consent. I don't need affirmation from anyone else in this world. It's tough, but I'm pushing myself hard to fight for what I love, and He will support me. I may not be the best around, but damn it I'll sing cuz I love to.
I sing for no one else, but for He who gives me strength in all I do.